Infection can affect any part of your body including your bones and joints. Orthopedic infections are often caused by an infection that has spread from other areas of the body. In some cases, infection may be related to the presence of an artificial joint – especially in the knee and hip. Without prompt treatment, these infections can lead to serious illness and permanent disabilities.
Some conditions, such as diabetes and COPD, may cause an increased risk of infection in general. In these instances, specialized care and treatment should be instated. Early diagnosis, antibiotic treatment, and surgery to remove or drain the infection when necessary can cure most infections.
- Pain, redness, warmth, or swelling near the infection site
- Fatigue, fevers, shaking chills, or drenching sweats
- Draining pus from wounds
- Limited range of motion or inability to use affected area
- Loosening or instability of hardware of artificial joints
- Spread of infection from other areas in the body
- Seeding of infection from a blood stream infection
- Infection during the time of trauma
- Hospital or surgical-acquired infections
- Presence of prosthetic joints or devices, mostly commonly in the hip or knee
- Conditions such as diabetes, HIV, organ or stem cell transplants
- Underlying chronic medical conditions such as spinal cord injuries, renal or liver disease, COPD, vascular disease, lymphedema, rheumatoid arthritis, or gout
- Engaging in substance abuse such as alcohol or IV drug abuse
- Excess weight
- Evaluation of vital signs
- Blood tests
- Physical exam
- Biopsy of pathology
- Imaging such as MRI or ultrasounds
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- I could not have asked for better service, promptness and satisfaction with the treatment ordered. Thank you very much!
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.