Infection can affect any part of your body including your bones and joints. Orthopedic infections are often caused by an infection that has spread from other areas of the body. In some cases, infection may be related to the presence of an artificial joint – especially in the knee and hip. Without prompt treatment, these infections can lead to serious illness and permanent disabilities.
Some conditions, such as diabetes and COPD, may cause an increased risk of infection in general. In these instances, specialized care and treatment should be instated. Early diagnosis, antibiotic treatment, and surgery to remove or drain the infection when necessary can cure most infections.
- Pain, redness, warmth, or swelling near the infection site
- Fatigue, fevers, shaking chills, or drenching sweats
- Draining pus from wounds
- Limited range of motion or inability to use affected area
- Loosening or instability of hardware of artificial joints
- Spread of infection from other areas in the body
- Seeding of infection from a blood stream infection
- Infection during the time of trauma
- Hospital or surgical-acquired infections
- Presence of prosthetic joints or devices, mostly commonly in the hip or knee
- Conditions such as diabetes, HIV, organ or stem cell transplants
- Underlying chronic medical conditions such as spinal cord injuries, renal or liver disease, COPD, vascular disease, lymphedema, rheumatoid arthritis, or gout
- Engaging in substance abuse such as alcohol or IV drug abuse
- Excess weight
- Evaluation of vital signs
- Blood tests
- Physical exam
- Biopsy of pathology
- Imaging such as MRI or ultrasounds
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.