Infection can affect any part of your body including your bones and joints. Orthopedic infections are often caused by an infection that has spread from other areas of the body. In some cases, infection may be related to the presence of an artificial joint – especially in the knee and hip. Without prompt treatment, these infections can lead to serious illness and permanent disabilities.
Some conditions, such as diabetes and COPD, may cause an increased risk of infection in general. In these instances, specialized care and treatment should be instated. Early diagnosis, antibiotic treatment, and surgery to remove or drain the infection when necessary can cure most infections.
- Pain, redness, warmth, or swelling near the infection site
- Fatigue, fevers, shaking chills, or drenching sweats
- Draining pus from wounds
- Limited range of motion or inability to use affected area
- Loosening or instability of hardware of artificial joints
- Spread of infection from other areas in the body
- Seeding of infection from a blood stream infection
- Infection during the time of trauma
- Hospital or surgical-acquired infections
- Presence of prosthetic joints or devices, mostly commonly in the hip or knee
- Conditions such as diabetes, HIV, organ or stem cell transplants
- Underlying chronic medical conditions such as spinal cord injuries, renal or liver disease, COPD, vascular disease, lymphedema, rheumatoid arthritis, or gout
- Engaging in substance abuse such as alcohol or IV drug abuse
- Excess weight
- Evaluation of vital signs
- Blood tests
- Physical exam
- Biopsy of pathology
- Imaging such as MRI or ultrasounds
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!