Reverse Shoulder Replacement
In a reverse shoulder replacement, the surgeon performs just the opposite. The glenoid part (socket) of the new joint is attached to the end of the humerus, and the ball portion of the joint replaces the old shoulder socket.
Traditional shoulder replacement surgery involves replacing the bone portions of the shoulder joint with new plastic or metal pieces. A new cup is attached to the shoulder socket (called a glenoid) and a new ball is attached to the top of the upper arm (the humerus). This new ball then fits into the glenoid socket and allows for smooth movement of the arm.
After surgery your arm will be in a sling or brace when you leave the hospital. Physical therapy is recommended to strengthen your shoulder and improve flexibility. Full recovery usually takes up to four months. Your doctor will tell you when you can return to work and activities such as driving.
- Torn rotator cuff that surgery can’t repaired
- Cuff tear arthropathy
- Previous shoulder replacement that was unsuccessful
- Severe shoulder pain and difficulty lifting your arm away from your side or over your head
- Complex fracture of the shoulder joint
- Chronic shoulder dislocation
- Tumor of the shoulder joint
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!