Reverse Shoulder Replacement
In a reverse shoulder replacement, the surgeon performs just the opposite. The glenoid part (socket) of the new joint is attached to the end of the humerus, and the ball portion of the joint replaces the old shoulder socket.
Traditional shoulder replacement surgery involves replacing the bone portions of the shoulder joint with new plastic or metal pieces. A new cup is attached to the shoulder socket (called a glenoid) and a new ball is attached to the top of the upper arm (the humerus). This new ball then fits into the glenoid socket and allows for smooth movement of the arm.
After surgery your arm will be in a sling or brace when you leave the hospital. Physical therapy is recommended to strengthen your shoulder and improve flexibility. Full recovery usually takes up to four months. Your doctor will tell you when you can return to work and activities such as driving.
- Torn rotator cuff that surgery can’t repaired
- Cuff tear arthropathy
- Previous shoulder replacement that was unsuccessful
- Severe shoulder pain and difficulty lifting your arm away from your side or over your head
- Complex fracture of the shoulder joint
- Chronic shoulder dislocation
- Tumor of the shoulder joint
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.