Reverse Shoulder Replacement
In a reverse shoulder replacement, the surgeon performs just the opposite. The glenoid part (socket) of the new joint is attached to the end of the humerus, and the ball portion of the joint replaces the old shoulder socket.
Traditional shoulder replacement surgery involves replacing the bone portions of the shoulder joint with new plastic or metal pieces. A new cup is attached to the shoulder socket (called a glenoid) and a new ball is attached to the top of the upper arm (the humerus). This new ball then fits into the glenoid socket and allows for smooth movement of the arm.
After surgery your arm will be in a sling or brace when you leave the hospital. Physical therapy is recommended to strengthen your shoulder and improve flexibility. Full recovery usually takes up to four months. Your doctor will tell you when you can return to work and activities such as driving.
- Torn rotator cuff that surgery can’t repaired
- Cuff tear arthropathy
- Previous shoulder replacement that was unsuccessful
- Severe shoulder pain and difficulty lifting your arm away from your side or over your head
- Complex fracture of the shoulder joint
- Chronic shoulder dislocation
- Tumor of the shoulder joint
Christopher C. Cooke, M.D.
Gregory A. Tocks, D.O.
John C. Rodgers, M.D.
Rodney E. Brenneman, M.D.
Vincent Battista, M.D.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!