Partial Knee Replacement Surgery
A partial knee replacement is a surgery where an orthopedic surgeon will replace only part of a painful, dysfunctional knee joint. Osteoarthritis of the knee causes the cartilage that protects the surface of the bone to wear away. This damage to the knee joint can be localized to a specific portion of the knee – inner, outer, or the space between the kneecap and thigh bone. If two or more portions of the knee are affected, it is usually best to proceed with a total knee replacement. When the damage is contained to only the one compartment, a partial knee replacement may be an option.
During a partial knee replacement, only the damaged area of bone is replaced allowing the remaining healthy bones and ligaments to be preserved. Replacement typically involves metal and plastic implants that mirror the structure and movement of the natural bone and cartilage.
In most instances, a partial knee replacement provides a shorter healing time and less postsurgical pain when compared to a full knee replacement. After your surgery, our team will work with you to develop a personalized recovery plan including physical therapy and pain management on-site at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster.
Schedule a consultation with one of our surgeons at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster to help determine if you are a candidate for a partial knee replacement.
Types of Treatment:
- Replacement of lost or damaged articular cartilage caused by osteoarthritis of the knee
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- I could not have asked for better service, promptness and satisfaction with the treatment ordered. Thank you very much!
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!