Medial Branch Blocks
A medial branch block is a type of spinal injection to temporarily block the pain signals coming from the medial nerves. Medial nerves run through the facet joints. Facet joints are joints in your spine that allow for movement between vertebrae.
If you are experiencing back pain, a medial branch block may be one of several tests your doctor recommends to locate the source of your pain. A steroid such as cortisone may be used in this injection to reduce inflammation.
A medial branch block can provide temporary pain relief but is mostly a tool to determine the source of your pain and the next steps in your treatment plan.
How is the procedure done?
- Monitoring - Your vitals will be monitored to ensure there are no concerns your doctor should be aware of before the procedure.
- Sedation – Most times, you will be given a sedative to calm anxiety and relax muscles.
- Positioned face down or on your side
- Local anesthesia administered - This usually causes the most discomfort during the procedure and is described as a mild stinging or burning sensation.
- Injection is administered
- Back pain
- Facet arthritis
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.