Knee Ligament Reconstruction
Knee ligament injuries, such as a torn ACL, are very painful. Your knee contains four ligaments that provide stability. Tears of the ACL or PCL do not typically heal well on their own. If you are young and active, your orthopedic surgeon may recommend surgery or knee ligament reconstruction for your ACL or PCL tear.
In instances where the ligament is torn beyond repair, knee ligament reconstruction is used. Knee ligament reconstruction uses tissue from another tendon in place of the torn ligament. This tissue may be your own tendon, called an autograft, or donated tissue from a cadaver, called an allograft. Autografts often use tissue from your hamstring, quadriceps or patellar tendon with bone plugs from the kneecap and shin bone. If other areas of damage exist within the knee, they may be repaired at the time of surgery as well.
After your surgery, you may need to wear a knee brace and use crutches.Our team at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster will be by your side as you recover. Together we will develop a personalized recovery plan including physical therapy and pain management to help you regain strength and function.
Types of Treatment:
- Surgical reconstruction of torn ligaments – typically ACL or PCL – using tissue from another tendon in place of the ligament because the ligament tear is beyond repair
- Surgical reconstruction using tissue sourced from your own tendon, called an autograft
- Surgical reconstruction using donated tissue from a cadaver, called allograft
- ACL Tear
- PCL Tear
- MCL Tear
- LCL Tear
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!
- I could not have asked for better service, promptness and satisfaction with the treatment ordered. Thank you very much!
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!