Knee Ligament Reconstruction
Knee ligament injuries, such as a torn ACL, are very painful. Your knee contains four ligaments that provide stability. Tears of the ACL or PCL do not typically heal well on their own. If you are young and active, your orthopedic surgeon may recommend surgery or knee ligament reconstruction for your ACL or PCL tear.
In instances where the ligament is torn beyond repair, knee ligament reconstruction is used. Knee ligament reconstruction uses tissue from another tendon in place of the torn ligament. This tissue may be your own tendon, called an autograft, or donated tissue from a cadaver, called an allograft. Autografts often use tissue from your hamstring, quadriceps or patellar tendon with bone plugs from the kneecap and shin bone. If other areas of damage exist within the knee, they may be repaired at the time of surgery as well.
After your surgery, you may need to wear a knee brace and use crutches.Our team at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster will be by your side as you recover. Together we will develop a personalized recovery plan including physical therapy and pain management to help you regain strength and function.
Types of Treatment:
- Surgical reconstruction of torn ligaments – typically ACL or PCL – using tissue from another tendon in place of the ligament because the ligament tear is beyond repair
- Surgical reconstruction using tissue sourced from your own tendon, called an autograft
- Surgical reconstruction using donated tissue from a cadaver, called allograft
- ACL Tear
- PCL Tear
- MCL Tear
- LCL Tear
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!