Epidural Steroid Injections
Pain from inflamed spinal nerves can be debilitating. Epidural steroid injections may be an option to treat pain and inflammation. This injection commonly contains a corticosteroid and a local anesthetic and is injected into the space surrounding the sac that contains the spinal nerves and spinal cord. The corticosteroid has a potent anti-inflammatory effect which helps treat the pain and improve function. The local anesthetic is sometimes added to provide temporary immediate pain relief. There are three major methods for injection: the interlaminar, caudal, and transforaminal approaches. All three approaches require the use of x-ray guidance for placement of the needle. Prior to injection of the steroid, contrast dye is typically used to confirm that the medication is in the desired location of the spine. Epidural steroid injections can be used to treat severe neck, back, leg, and arm pain associated with inflamed spinal nerves. Pain relief is typically felt two to seven days after the injection although this may vary.
Our pain management physicians at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster understand that the symptoms of your pain are unique. Because of this, we believe a personalized treatment plan is necessary to deliver fast and lasting pain relief. Our pain management approach is designed to help you get back to the life you enjoy as soon as possible.
Types of Treatment:
- Relief of severe neck, back, leg, and arm pain associated with inflamed spinal nerves. Common causes of pain include degenerative disc disease, herniated or bulging discs, sciatica, spinal stenosis, and spondylolisthesis.
- For those who experience significant benefit, injections may be safely repeated to maintain the improvements at appropriate intervals
- Bulging Disc
- Herniated Disc
- Spinal Stenosis
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.