Epidural Steroid Injections
Pain from inflamed spinal nerves can be debilitating. Epidural steroid injections may be an option to treat pain and inflammation. This injection commonly contains a corticosteroid and a local anesthetic and is injected into the space surrounding the sac that contains the spinal nerves and spinal cord. The corticosteroid has a potent anti-inflammatory effect which helps treat the pain and improve function. The local anesthetic is sometimes added to provide temporary immediate pain relief. There are three major methods for injection: the interlaminar, caudal, and transforaminal approaches. All three approaches require the use of x-ray guidance for placement of the needle. Prior to injection of the steroid, contrast dye is typically used to confirm that the medication is in the desired location of the spine. Epidural steroid injections can be used to treat severe neck, back, leg, and arm pain associated with inflamed spinal nerves. Pain relief is typically felt two to seven days after the injection although this may vary.
Our pain management physicians at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster understand that the symptoms of your pain are unique. Because of this, we believe a personalized treatment plan is necessary to deliver fast and lasting pain relief. Our pain management approach is designed to help you get back to the life you enjoy as soon as possible.
Types of Treatment:
- Relief of severe neck, back, leg, and arm pain associated with inflamed spinal nerves. Common causes of pain include degenerative disc disease, herniated or bulging discs, sciatica, spinal stenosis, and spondylolisthesis.
- For those who experience significant benefit, injections may be safely repeated to maintain the improvements at appropriate intervals
- Bulging Disc
- Herniated Disc
- Spinal Stenosis
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.