A bunion is a painful boney bulge on the outside base of the big toe. Bunions are a very common foot condition. A bunion is a deformity within the joint of the big toe. This misalignment in the joint causes the toe to drift inward toward the second toe and sometimes can even cause the second toe to overlap the first or third toe.
Bunion surgery is often recommended when non-invasive methods fail to reduce pain. The surgeon will take into consideration the extent of your deformity, your age, your activity level, and other factors.
Surgical procedures for bunions can be done as single procedures or in
- Removing the swollen tissue from around your big toe joint
- Straightening your big toe by removing part of the bone
- Realigning one or more bones in the forefoot to a more normal position to correct the abnormal angle in your big toe joint
- Joining the bones of your affected joint permanently
It's possible that you'll be able to walk on your foot right after a bunion procedure. However, full recovery can take weeks to months.
Ideal candidate for bunion surgery:
- Pain restricts or prohibits you from completing everyday routines or activities
- Can’t walk more than a few blocks without severe foot pain
- The big toe remains swollen and painful even with rest and medication
- Can’t bend or straighten your big toe
- Hallux Valgus
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!