A bunion is a painful boney bulge on the outside base of the big toe. Bunions are a very common foot condition. A bunion is a deformity within the joint of the big toe. This misalignment in the joint causes the toe to drift inward toward the second toe and sometimes can even cause the second toe to overlap the first or third toe.
Bunion surgery is often recommended when non-invasive methods fail to reduce pain. The surgeon will take into consideration the extent of your deformity, your age, your activity level, and other factors.
Surgical procedures for bunions can be done as single procedures or in
- Removing the swollen tissue from around your big toe joint
- Straightening your big toe by removing part of the bone
- Realigning one or more bones in the forefoot to a more normal position to correct the abnormal angle in your big toe joint
- Joining the bones of your affected joint permanently
It's possible that you'll be able to walk on your foot right after a bunion procedure. However, full recovery can take weeks to months.
Ideal candidate for bunion surgery:
- Pain restricts or prohibits you from completing everyday routines or activities
- Can’t walk more than a few blocks without severe foot pain
- The big toe remains swollen and painful even with rest and medication
- Can’t bend or straighten your big toe
- Hallux Valgus
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!