A bunion is a painful boney bulge on the outside base of the big toe. Bunions are a very common foot condition. A bunion is a deformity within the joint of the big toe. This misalignment in the joint causes the toe to drift inward toward the second toe and sometimes can even cause the second toe to overlap the first or third toe.
Bunion surgery is often recommended when non-invasive methods fail to reduce pain. The surgeon will take into consideration the extent of your deformity, your age, your activity level, and other factors.
Surgical procedures for bunions can be done as single procedures or in
- Removing the swollen tissue from around your big toe joint
- Straightening your big toe by removing part of the bone
- Realigning one or more bones in the forefoot to a more normal position to correct the abnormal angle in your big toe joint
- Joining the bones of your affected joint permanently
It's possible that you'll be able to walk on your foot right after a bunion procedure. However, full recovery can take weeks to months.
Ideal candidate for bunion surgery:
- Pain restricts or prohibits you from completing everyday routines or activities
- Can’t walk more than a few blocks without severe foot pain
- The big toe remains swollen and painful even with rest and medication
- Can’t bend or straighten your big toe
- Hallux Valgus
John C. Rodgers, M.D.
Thomas I. Sherman, M.D.
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.