Ankle Instability Surgery
Lateral ankle ligament reconstruction is a surgery to tighten and firm up one or more ankle ligaments on the outside of your ankle. Ankle ligament reconstruction is most often done as an outpatient surgery, which allow you to go home the same day.
The ankle is a hinge joint that allows motion up and down, and from side to side. Strong band-like structures, called ligaments keep the bones in your ankle and feet tightly connected. On the outer side of your foot, you have several ligaments. These include the anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL) and the calcaneofibular ligament (CFL). These help keep your ankle and foot steady when you walk.
Patients can have repeated ankle sprains or have certain foot deformities, which can cause ligaments can start to get weak and loose. If this happens, your ankle may become unstable.
During lateral ankle ligament reconstruction, the surgeon makes a small cut on the outside of your ankle. This is done while you are under general anesthesia. Then your surgeon tightens one or more of the ligaments on the outside of your foot.
After surgery, your doctor will give you specific instructions about how to strengthen your ankle and leg muscles as you recover. You may benefit from physical therapy as well. This will help make sure that your surgery will be a success.
- Description of your symptoms and medical history including history of ankle sprains
- Physical examination to evaluate movement and health of the ankle
- An x-ray or MRI may be used for visualization of the ankle
- Greater ankle stability reducing ankle sprains or ‘giving way’
- Significant restoration of ankle function
- Return to sporting activity
- Stronger ankle muscles
- Reduction in pain
- Improved balance
Carl M. Adolph, Jr., M.D.
James H. Carson, M.D.
Joel A. Horning, M.D.
John C. Rodgers, M.D.
Paul F. Carroll, M.D.
Thomas I. Sherman, M.D.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.