Ankle Instability Surgery
Lateral ankle ligament reconstruction is a surgery to tighten and firm up one or more ankle ligaments on the outside of your ankle. Ankle ligament reconstruction is most often done as an outpatient surgery, which allow you to go home the same day.
The ankle is a hinge joint that allows motion up and down, and from side to side. Strong band-like structures, called ligaments keep the bones in your ankle and feet tightly connected. On the outer side of your foot, you have several ligaments. These include the anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL) and the calcaneofibular ligament (CFL). These help keep your ankle and foot steady when you walk.
Patients can have repeated ankle sprains or have certain foot deformities, which can cause ligaments can start to get weak and loose. If this happens, your ankle may become unstable.
During lateral ankle ligament reconstruction, the surgeon makes a small cut on the outside of your ankle. This is done while you are under general anesthesia. Then your surgeon tightens one or more of the ligaments on the outside of your foot.
After surgery, your doctor will give you specific instructions about how to strengthen your ankle and leg muscles as you recover. You may benefit from physical therapy as well. This will help make sure that your surgery will be a success.
- Description of your symptoms and medical history including history of ankle sprains
- Physical examination to evaluate movement and health of the ankle
- An x-ray or MRI may be used for visualization of the ankle
- Greater ankle stability reducing ankle sprains or ‘giving way’
- Significant restoration of ankle function
- Return to sporting activity
- Stronger ankle muscles
- Reduction in pain
- Improved balance
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!