Fractures & Sprains
Treatment of Fractures and Sprains
Bone fractures and sprains are common injuries that can happen to anyone. These are often common sports injuries, but they can also occur in everyday life. Even a simple misstep while walking can result in a sprained ankle or fractured wrist.
While both fractures and sprains are typically associated with sudden pain and swelling, the injuries involve different areas of your body. A sprain refers to a pull or tear of the ligaments that connect bones at the joint. A fracture, or broken bone, typically occurs when a bone is impacted with force.
When you suffer an injury, it can be difficult to determine on your own whether you are feeling symptoms of a fracture or a sprain. If you suspect either, rest the affected body part immediately and call your doctor. Do not attempt to straighten or reposition an affected limb. If a bone has punctured skin, there is bleeding, or the person seems unresponsive call 911.
Fracture and Sprain Differences
Symptoms of a Fracture
- Snap or cracking sound upon trauma such as during a fall or hit
- Sharp, deep, or intense pain
- Bleeding or bruising of the skin
Symptoms of a Sprain
- Difficulty moving a joint
- Muscle pain
- Muscle cramping or spasms
The severity of your injury may vary but even seemingly minor fractures and sprains should be evaluated by an orthopedic physician to ensure proper alignment and rule out other injuries. Additionally, fractures and sprains left untreated can heal improperly and make you vulnerable to future injuries and instability.
Orthopedic Urgent Care at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster provides you with direct access to a dedicated orthopedic provider who can diagnose and treat your pain right away. No appointment is necessary and wait times and costs are typically less than with an emergency room visit.
Related ConditionsAll Fractures & Sprains ConditionsView Conditions
Related TreatmentsAll Fractures & Sprains TreatmentsView Treatments
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.