Fractures & Sprains
Treatment of Fractures and Sprains
Bone fractures and sprains are common injuries that can happen to anyone. These are often common sports injuries, but they can also occur in everyday life. Even a simple misstep while walking can result in a sprained ankle or fractured wrist.
While both fractures and sprains are typically associated with sudden pain and swelling, the injuries involve different areas of your body. A sprain refers to a pull or tear of the ligaments that connect bones at the joint. A fracture, or broken bone, typically occurs when a bone is impacted with force.
When you suffer an injury, it can be difficult to determine on your own whether you are feeling symptoms of a fracture or a sprain. If you suspect either, rest the affected body part immediately and call your doctor. Do not attempt to straighten or reposition an affected limb. If a bone has punctured skin, there is bleeding, or the person seems unresponsive call 911.
Fracture and Sprain Differences
Symptoms of a Fracture
- Snap or cracking sound upon trauma such as during a fall or hit
- Sharp, deep, or intense pain
- Bleeding or bruising of the skin
Symptoms of a Sprain
- Difficulty moving a joint
- Muscle pain
- Muscle cramping or spasms
The severity of your injury may vary but even seemingly minor fractures and sprains should be evaluated by an orthopedic physician to ensure proper alignment and rule out other injuries. Additionally, fractures and sprains left untreated can heal improperly and make you vulnerable to future injuries and instability.
Orthopedic Urgent Care at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster provides you with direct access to a dedicated orthopedic provider who can diagnose and treat your pain right away. No appointment is necessary and wait times and costs are typically less than with an emergency room visit.
Related ConditionsAll Fractures & Sprains ConditionsView Conditions
Related TreatmentsAll Fractures & Sprains TreatmentsView Treatments
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!