Your shoulder is capable of a wide range of motion which also makes it prone to injury. The shoulder is a ball-and-socket joint which is surrounded by many structures including bones, muscles, tendons, and bursa – small fluid-filled sacs that decrease friction in your joints. Shoulder impingement syndrome is a painful condition described as tendinitis and/or bursitis that results from abnormal compression of the bursa and rotator cuff tendons.
Shoulder impingement syndrome is one of the most common causes of shoulder pain. It is often caused by wear and tear over time but can be accelerated with repetitive overhead activities.
Persistent shoulder impingement without proper treatment can lead to thinning of the rotator cuff which can make you more vulnerable to tears. Biceps tendinitis can sometimes accompany shoulder impingement.
- Shoulder pain, especially with overhead activities, repetitive lifting, or when reaching behind the back
- Pain to the touch especially on the outer shoulder
- Pain that worsens at night or if laying on affected arm
- Stiffness, limited range of motion, or weakness of affected limb
- Repetitive overhead activities
- Conditions affecting the bone such as bone spurs or arthritis
- Participating in some sports such as swimming, throwing, gymnastics, or volleyball
- Occupations that require repetitive activity at or above shoulder level
- Joint laxity or instability
- Age – degeneration typically increases overtime
- Excess weight
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.