Patellofemoral syndrome, also known as runner’s knee, is a term used to describe a collection of ailments causing pain on the front of the knee and around the kneecap. Pain can be felt during a variety of activities that engage the knee. It is often said to be the most severe when going up stairs.
There are multiple causes of patellofemoral syndrome, but it is most commonly associated with overuse of the knee joint. Poor alignment in the knee structure, trauma, or overuse can deteriorate the cartilage behind the kneecap resulting in pain and limited function.
Pain from patellofemoral syndrome can often be improved with rest, physical therapy, or by wearing a brace on the affected knee. Learn more about our knee reconstruction experts at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster and our state-of-the-art facilities that allow us to guide your recovery from diagnostics to physical therapy and surgical repair if necessary.
- Pain when going up or down stairs – most frequently up
- Pain in the knees when kneeling or standing from a deep squat
- A grinding or sandpaper like sensation in the front of the knee when moving
- A feeling of stiffness within the knee joint
- Development of arthritis under the kneecap
- Malalignment, or instability, of the kneecap within the femoral groove resulting in increased friction when in use
- Weakness of the inner quadricep muscles resulting in lateral tracking of the kneecap
- Trauma impacting the kneecap can be a cause but is often less typical
- History of prior trauma to the knee
- Prior surgery to the knee, especially involving the patella or patellofemoral groove
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.