Patellofemoral syndrome, also known as runner’s knee, is a term used to describe a collection of ailments causing pain on the front of the knee and around the kneecap. Pain can be felt during a variety of activities that engage the knee. It is often said to be the most severe when going up stairs.
There are multiple causes of patellofemoral syndrome, but it is most commonly associated with overuse of the knee joint. Poor alignment in the knee structure, trauma, or overuse can deteriorate the cartilage behind the kneecap resulting in pain and limited function.
Pain from patellofemoral syndrome can often be improved with rest, physical therapy, or by wearing a brace on the affected knee. Learn more about our knee reconstruction experts at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster and our state-of-the-art facilities that allow us to guide your recovery from diagnostics to physical therapy and surgical repair if necessary.
- Pain when going up or down stairs – most frequently up
- Pain in the knees when kneeling or standing from a deep squat
- A grinding or sandpaper like sensation in the front of the knee when moving
- A feeling of stiffness within the knee joint
- Development of arthritis under the kneecap
- Malalignment, or instability, of the kneecap within the femoral groove resulting in increased friction when in use
- Weakness of the inner quadricep muscles resulting in lateral tracking of the kneecap
- Trauma impacting the kneecap can be a cause but is often less typical
- History of prior trauma to the knee
- Prior surgery to the knee, especially involving the patella or patellofemoral groove
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.