IT Band Syndrome
Your knees are one of the hardest-working joints in your body and they require a heavy-duty support system. The iliotibial band, also referred to as the IT band, is a strong, fibrous band of tissue that runs along the outer thigh from the hip to just below the knee. The IT band stabilizes the outer part of the knee as it flexes and extends. This high amount of movement and friction makes it susceptible to overuse injuries, inflammation, and pain.
Pain can occur anywhere along the IT band from your hip to your knee but is often most present in the outer side of the knee. Left untreated, irritation and inflammation in the IT band can lead to reduced range of motion in the knee and increasing levels of pain.
Our hip and knee specialists at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster are expertly trained to treat and relieve the unique pain and conditions of these weight-bearing joints. Learn more about our hip and knee specialists how we can help to get you moving again.
- Sharp or burning pain along the IT band that can range from the hip to the knee but is typically most intense in the outer knee
- Pain may increase during movement that engages the IT band such as running, cycling, squatting, walking up and down stairs, or standing for long durations
- More severe conditions may feel deeper pain that is present even at rest
- Overuse of the outer knee such as with running, cycling, or repetitive squatting
- Leg length discrepancies or knock or bow knees may put added stress on the IT band during activity
- Poor stance or posture when engaged in high-intensity repetitive movement such as when running, cycling, or lifting weights
- Weakness or decreased flexibility of muscles surrounding IT band
- Exercising or playing sports on uneven terrain
- Sudden changes in activity intensity or duration
- Poorly fitting footwear
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- I could not have asked for better service, promptness and satisfaction with the treatment ordered. Thank you very much!
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.