If you often feel a stabbing pain in the heel of your foot you may be suffering from plantar fasciitis. This inflammatory condition is the most common cause of heel pain. Running, spending long periods of time standing, and other repetitive stretching and tearing of the fascia are typically the cause.
Plantar fascia serves as a shock-absorber when walking and running. The thick band of connective tissue runs along the bottom of your feet. This tissue connects your heel bone to your toes and supports the arch of your foot.
Left untreated, plantar fasciitis can significantly hinder your ability to enjoy daily activities such as walking, running, exercising, or even standing. Learn more below about managing your foot pain.
- Stabbing pain on the bottom of the foot or heel when taking your first steps in the morning. This may improve as the day goes on but flare up again with increase in activity.
- Pain on the sole of the foot near the heel
- Tenderness when touching the area of the plantar fascia
- Pain that increases over time
- High arched foot or flat foot
- Wearing non-supportive footwear
- Repetitive activities that engage the feet
- Excess weight
- Participating in athletic activities such as running, jumping, tennis, and ballet dancing
- A sudden increase in exercise intensity or duration
- Conditions such as Achilles tendonitis, flat feet, or high arches
- Occupations that require standing for long durations such as factory workers or teachers
- Poorly fitting footwear
- Excess weight
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- I could not have asked for better service, promptness and satisfaction with the treatment ordered. Thank you very much!
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!