Hammer toe is a foot deformity that occurs due to an imbalance in the muscles, tendons, or ligaments that normally hold the toe straight. This results in a toe that remains bent at the middle joint in a claw-like position. This most commonly affects the second toe and those with longer second toes have a greater risk.
There are two types of hammer toes: flexible hammer toes and rigid hammer toes. Flexible hammer toes are in the early stages of deformity and the affected toes are still moveable. Rigid hammer toes are more severe. The tendon and joints become misaligned, completely prohibiting movement.
Hammer toe can lead to pressure and pain that will get worse overtime if left untreated. Eventually the deformity will become permanent. When detected in its early stages, the original shape can be regained with simple footwear changes. Severe cases may require surgical repair.
- Pain, redness, or swelling where the toe is bent
- A decrease in range of motion in the affected toes
- Toe cramping that may extend into the foot and leg
- Toe curling under
- Improperly fitting footwear including inadequate room in the toe box or shoes that fit too small or too tight
- Abnormal muscle balance in your toes
- Second toe length that is longer than the first and third toes
- Physical examination to evaluate condition
- X-ray to show evaluate potential damage to the bone
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.