Flexor tendon injuries are common among football players, wrestlers, and rock climbers but are not exclusive to sports injuries. Flexor tendon injuries affect the tendons located within the palm of your hand that allow your fingers to bend. Flexor tendons originate at the elbow and forearm as muscles and turn into tendons just past the middle of the forearm. These tendons run closely along the bones of your fingers on the palm side of your hand.
Because of their location and closeness to the skin, flexor tendons can become injured easily. This is typically in the form of a cut or trauma to the palm or fingers. Injuries often prevent you from bending your fingers or produce pain when bending your fingers. Contact our hand and wrist specialists to determine if this condition may be affecting you.
- Pain, tenderness, or swelling in the palm and fingers
- Decreased ability to bend your fingers
- Decreased sensation in the palm and fingers or numbness in your fingertips
- Cut or laceration on the palm of the hand or fingers. This can be minor or severe to the point of complete laceration or rupture of the tendon.
- Crushing injuries such as slamming a finger in a door or as a result of occupational tasks
- Sports injuries such as stretching of the tendon or “jersey finger”
- Broken bones
- General hand or finger trauma
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Participating in sports such as football, wrestling, or rock climbing
- Occupations where risk of hand injury or crushing is higher
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!