Diabetic Foot Disease
Diabetes is often associated with foot problems. Diabetes prevents the body from producing enough insulin, or the body does not use insulin like it should. Because of this glucose, or sugar, is not absorbed into the body’s cells and instead remains in the bloodstream. When diabetes is not properly managed, it can lead to other medical conditions including nerve damage and poor blood circulation. This means the risk for diabetic foot disease is very high. Diabetic foot disease includes risk of infection, ulcers, deformities, injuries, and limited mobility.
Preventative care including at-home and medical evaluation of the feet has shown to significantly manage risk. If the below symptoms sound familiar to you, contact our foot and ankle specialists to schedule an evaluation.
- Changes in skin color or temperature
- Swelling or pain in the feet, ankles, or legs
- Foot ulcers or open sores on the feet that may be draining
- Ingrown toenails or toenail fungus
- Dry, cracked heels; corns; or calluses
- Unusual or persistent foot odor
- Diabetic neuropathy – a nerve damage in the feet that affects feeling and sensation
- Peripheral vascular disease – a condition affecting blood flow inhibiting the body’s ability to heal simple sores or cuts quickly
- Foot ulcers or sores
- Foot deformities such as hammertoe, claw toe, or Charcot foot
- Uncontrolled or inconsistent management of diabetes
- Excessive weight
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.