Thomas I. Sherman, M.D.
Dr. Sherman is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in the comprehensive treatment of foot and ankle conditions. He completed his orthopedic residency at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C. with additional fellowship training at the esteemed Foot and Ankle Surgery fellowship program at the MedStar Union Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Sherman has published multiple book chapters, research manuscripts, review articles, and editorials. He has presented his work at multiple national orthopedic meetings. He is an active member of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society serving on the Evidence-Based Medicine Committee tasked with devising best practices for orthopaedic surgeons treating foot and ankle conditions.
His clinical interests include flatfoot and cavus foot reconstruction, sports-related injuries, ankle arthroscopy, arthritis of the foot and ankle, bunion correction, ankle replacement, complex foot and ankle trauma (ankle, calcaneus, and pilon fractures), post-traumatic deformity, use of Taylor Spatial Frame, treatment of nonunions, revision surgery, and limb salvage.
Dr. Sherman is a former Divison I soccer player and enjoys playing and following professional soccer, living an active lifestyle, cooking, gardening, and most importantly spending time with his wife, daughter, and boxer dog.
- Fractures & Sprains
- Undergraduate Education: Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA
- Medical School: Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Residency: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C.
- Fellowship: MedStar Union Memorial Foot and Ankle
- License: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Board eligible
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- North Pointe Surgery Center
- Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health
- Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster, Ltd.
- Arthroscopy Journal, Editorial Board Member
- Dr. Sherman has authored an invited book chapter on the surgical correction of bunions, as well as clinical and surgical guidelines for the American Academy of Orthoaedic Surgeons to help other surgeons across the country and world optimally manage the complex problem of bunions. Revision Surgery of the Foot & Ankle ebook
- Sherman TI, Koury K, Orapin J, Schon LC. Lateral Transfer of the Flexor Digitorum Longus for Peroneal Tendinopathy. Foot Ankle Int. [Epub ahead of print]. 2019. PMID: 31203651
- Sherman TI, Schon L. “Chapter 17: Getting it Right the Second Time: Pearls and Principles for Revision Surgery of the Foot and Ankle. Revision of the Failed Bunion Surgery” AAOS Instructional Course Lectures, Volume 68. 2019.
- Kern, MJ, Sherman TI, Murray RS, Postma WF. Incidence of Nerve Injury after Hip Arthroscopy. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. 26(21): 773-778. 2018. PMID: 30180092
- Sherman TI, Guyton GP. Minimal Incision/Minimally Invasive Medializing Displacement Calcaneal Osteotomy Foot and Ankle Int. 39(1): 119-128. 2018. PMID: 29239222
- Sherman TI, Letzelter J, Ryan JM, Shechtel J, Postma W. Large Synovial Chondroma of the Infrapatellar Fat Pad: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Progress in Orthopaedic Science.2(3): 23-29. 2016. doi: 10.5455/pos.20160903124629
- Churchill R, Sherman TI, Carpiniello M, Postma W. “The Approach to Proximal Fifth Metatarsal Fractures in Athletes.” Clinical Research on Foot & Ankle. 4:181. doi:10.4172/2329-910X. 1000181
- Sherman TI, Kern M, Marcel J, Butler A, McGuigan FX. “First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthroscopy for Osteochondral Lesions.” Arthroscopy Techniques. 5(3): e513-e518. 2016. PMID: 27656371.
- Sherman TI, Golshani K, Emmerich K, Cai L, Gu W, Kessler M. “Is Disability and Pain Related to Lateral Epicondylitis Affected by Conservative Treatment?” Progress in Orthopedic Science. 1(1): 1-8. doi: 10.5455/pos.20150601113733
- Sherman TI, Casscells N., Rabe J., McGuigan F. “Ankle Arthroscopy for Ankle Fractures.” Arthroscopy Techniques. 4(1):e75-e79. 2015. PMID: 25973379
- Sherman TI, Ferguson J, Davis W, Russo M, Argintar E, “Does the Use of Ultrasound Affect Contamination of Musculoskeletal Injections Sites?” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 473(1): 351-7. 2015. PMID: 25163689.
- Sherman TI, Ferguson J, Davis W, Russo M, Argintar E, “Reply to the letter to the editor: Does the Use of Ultrasound Affect Contamination of Musculoskeletal Injections Sites?” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 473(1): 391-2. 2015. PMID: 25352260
- Sherman TI, Marcel J, Postma, W. “Management of a Large Acetabular Chondrolabral Injury in a Young Patient with Femoroacetabular Impingement.” Arthroscopy Techniques. 3(6):e703-7. 2014. PMID: 25685678.
- Harlin SL, Harlin RD, Sherman TI, Rozsas CM, Shafqat MS, Meyers W. “Using a structured, computer-administered questionnaire for evaluating health-related quality of life in patients with chronic lower extremity wounds.” Ostomy Wound Manage.15;55(9):30-9. 2009. PMID: 19797801.
- Wang C., Sherman TI, Styer AM, Leung TC, Robishaw JD, and Mirshahi T. “Characterization of a Zebrafish Ortholog of Kir6 Channel Subunits.” Biophys J. 90:107A-108A. 2006.
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.