Thomas I. Sherman, M.D.
Dr. Sherman is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in the comprehensive treatment of foot and ankle conditions. He completed his residency in MedStar Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C. and followed with a fellowship in Foot and Ankle Surgery at the MedStar Union Memorial Foot and Ankle.
Dr. Sherman is a published physician and has interests in reconstruction of the foot and ankle, sports-related injuries, ankle arthroscopy, arthritis of the foot and ankle, ligament and bunions, and ankle arthroscopy.
Outside of OAL, Dr. Sherman enjoys living an active lifestyle and values time with his family.
- Fractures & Sprains
- Undergraduate Education: Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA
- Medical School: Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Residency: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C.
- Fellowship: MedStar Union Memorial Foot and Ankle
- License: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Board eligible
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- North Pointe Surgery Center
- Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health
- Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster, Ltd.
- Dr. Sherman has authored an invited book chapter on the surgical correction of bunions, as well as clinical and surgical guidelines for the American Academy of Orthoaedic Surgeons to help other surgeons across the country and world optimally manage the complex problem of bunions. Revision Surgery of the Foot & Ankle ebook
- Sherman TI, Koury K, Orapin J, Schon LC. Lateral Transfer of the Flexor Digitorum Longus for Peroneal Tendinopathy. Foot Ankle Int. [Epub ahead of print]. 2019. PMID: 31203651
- Sherman TI, Schon L. “Chapter 17: Getting it Right the Second Time: Pearls and Principles for Revision Surgery of the Foot and Ankle. Revision of the Failed Bunion Surgery” AAOS Instructional Course Lectures, Volume 68. 2019.
- Kern, MJ, Sherman TI, Murray RS, Postma WF. Incidence of Nerve Injury after Hip Arthroscopy. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. 26(21): 773-778. 2018. PMID: 30180092
- Sherman TI, Guyton GP. Minimal Incision/Minimally Invasive Medializing Displacement Calcaneal Osteotomy Foot and Ankle Int. 39(1): 119-128. 2018. PMID: 29239222
- Sherman TI, Letzelter J, Ryan JM, Shechtel J, Postma W. Large Synovial Chondroma of the Infrapatellar Fat Pad: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Progress in Orthopaedic Science.2(3): 23-29. 2016. doi: 10.5455/pos.20160903124629
- Churchill R, Sherman TI, Carpiniello M, Postma W. “The Approach to Proximal Fifth Metatarsal Fractures in Athletes.” Clinical Research on Foot & Ankle. 4:181. doi:10.4172/2329-910X. 1000181
- Sherman TI, Kern M, Marcel J, Butler A, McGuigan FX. “First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthroscopy for Osteochondral Lesions.” Arthroscopy Techniques. 5(3): e513-e518. 2016. PMID: 27656371.
- Sherman TI, Golshani K, Emmerich K, Cai L, Gu W, Kessler M. “Is Disability and Pain Related to Lateral Epicondylitis Affected by Conservative Treatment?” Progress in Orthopedic Science. 1(1): 1-8. doi: 10.5455/pos.20150601113733
- Sherman TI, Casscells N., Rabe J., McGuigan F. “Ankle Arthroscopy for Ankle Fractures.” Arthroscopy Techniques. 4(1):e75-e79. 2015. PMID: 25973379
- Sherman TI, Ferguson J, Davis W, Russo M, Argintar E, “Does the Use of Ultrasound Affect Contamination of Musculoskeletal Injections Sites?” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 473(1): 351-7. 2015. PMID: 25163689.
- Sherman TI, Ferguson J, Davis W, Russo M, Argintar E, “Reply to the letter to the editor: Does the Use of Ultrasound Affect Contamination of Musculoskeletal Injections Sites?” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 473(1): 391-2. 2015. PMID: 25352260
- Sherman TI, Marcel J, Postma, W. “Management of a Large Acetabular Chondrolabral Injury in a Young Patient with Femoroacetabular Impingement.” Arthroscopy Techniques. 3(6):e703-7. 2014. PMID: 25685678.
- Harlin SL, Harlin RD, Sherman TI, Rozsas CM, Shafqat MS, Meyers W. “Using a structured, computer-administered questionnaire for evaluating health-related quality of life in patients with chronic lower extremity wounds.” Ostomy Wound Manage.15;55(9):30-9. 2009. PMID: 19797801.
- Wang C., Sherman TI, Styer AM, Leung TC, Robishaw JD, and Mirshahi T. “Characterization of a Zebrafish Ortholog of Kir6 Channel Subunits.” Biophys J. 90:107A-108A. 2006.
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!