Outpatient Joint Replacement
As The Premier Provider of Orthopedic Care in Central Pennsylvania, Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster (OAL) and North Pointe Surgery Center (NPSC) are proud to be the first in the region to offer Outpatient (Same-Day) Joint Replacement Surgery. Patients stand, walk and return home the same day as surgery!
The goal of outpatient joint replacement is to provide our patients with better outcomes as inpatient surgery while also reducing costs, increasing patient comfort, and avoiding risks associated with a hospital stay. Traditionally performed as inpatient procedures, total hip and knee replacements, can now be performed on an outpatient basis, allowing patients to go home just hours after surgery. You may be a candidate for same-day joint replacement surgery if you are active and in good health, with no major medical conditions. If you have a strong support system at home, with family or friends who are willing to assist in your recovery and are committed to your physical therapy care plan and doing what it takes to recover at home.
What is Outpatient Joint Replacement?
The number of joint replacement surgeries performed in outpatient facilities has greatly increased over the last few years and continues to grow. It is safe and cost-effective for appropriately selected patients. All outpatient joint replacement surgeries performed by OAL take place at North Pointe Surgery Center located in Lebanon, PA.
You may be a candidate for outpatient joint replacement surgery if:
- You are active and in good health, with no major medical conditions (heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, uncontrolled diabetes, etc.)
- You have a strong support system at home, with family or friends who are willing to assist in your recovery
- You are committed to your physical therapy care plan and doing what it takes to recover at home
Our board-certified joint replacement surgeons, Dr. Christopher Cooke, Dr. Rodney Brenneman, and Dr. Gregory Tocks are trained in the latest outpatient joint replacement techniques to help you return to your active lifestyle sooner. To see if a joint replacement is a right option for you, call (717) 299-4871 or schedule an appointment online.
Benefits of Same-Day Joint Replacement
Benefits of the minimally invasive outpatient hip and knee replacement include:
- Ability to recover in the comfort of your own home, thereby eliminating the risk of hospital-acquired infections
- Smaller incisions, which results in:
- Less pain and swelling
- Decreased scarring
- Faster recovery
- Minimal blood loss during surgery and fewer complications
- Less damage to surrounding tissues
- Increased range of motion after surgery
- Total Hip Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
What to Expect
Once you and your surgeon decide to move forward with surgery, you must complete the following for Outpatient Joint Replacement Surgery:
Meet your Nurse Navigator
A caring and knowledgeable nurse is here for you every step of the way through your joint replacement.
Outpatient Joint Replacement Class
One-on-one educational class to help you understand your joint replacement journey - from preparing for surgery, arriving on the day of surgery, and what your discharge plans are for your recovery.
Pre-operative Physical Therapy Consultation
Pre-habilitation is a series of exercises you will do before your surgery. There are many benefits to committing to this plan. “Pre-hab” will help prepare you mentally and physically for your surgery.
Recovery at Home
After the surgery is behind you, it is time to focus on your recovery and physical therapy plan.
Thanks to the high standards of pre-operative and post-operative care at OAL & NPSC, we create a comfortable environment where you can recover from surgery. The Orthopedic team at OAL & NPSC is here with you each step of the way. Together, we’ll help you through the recovery process and get you back to your active lifestyle.
Your Nurse Navigators
It has been scientifically proven that patients have better outcomes when they can recover in their own homes, making this an attractive option for both physicians and patients. But how do you prepare for the recovery process at home? What do you need to do in advance to get ready?
OAL's Nurse Navigators guide the patients through the entire surgical process from making the decision to have surgery through their rehabilitation.
Christine Speros, BSN, RN
Crystal Richman, BSN, RN
WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING
Your good health is our priority. Our patients are like family, and the best part of our job is seeing them get back to doing what they love. If our comprehensive, compassionate approach to orthopedic care is changing your life too, please let us know! Send an email to email@example.com with your name and contact information.
|Mary Jo's Success Story - Hip Replacement|
Life before surgery...
How has my life changed since surgery...
Meeting Dr. Gregory Tocks...
The advice I would give and have given people in my situation...
- Mary Jo
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.