Joel A. Horning, M.D.
Dr. Horning is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializes sports injuries, including arthroscopic surgeries. He chose orthopedics because he enjoys helping patients return to, or improve upon, their active lifestyle.
As sports medicine specialist, Dr. Horning says he really enjoys treating athletes and working with coaches, trainers and parents with the goal of promoting a safe and speedy return to play.
When it comes to his free time Dr. Horning enjoys spending time with his family and participating in Ironman triathlons.
- Foot & Ankle
- Fractures & Sprains
- Joint Replacement
- Neck & Back
- Work Injuries
- Undergraduate Education: Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- Graduate School: Drexel University, M.S. Chemical Engineering
- Medical School: Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Residency: Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Fellowship: Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- Licenses: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Board Certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- North Pointe Surgery Center
- Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health
- Lancaster Barnstormers, Head Team Physician
- Lancaster Bible College
- Ephrata High School
- Garden Spot High School
- New Covenant Christian School
- Ephrata Youth Football
- Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster, Ltd.
- Horning J, Yoder A. Triathlon Specific Strength Training. 2018.
- Czajka J, Bellapianta J, Horning J. Salmonella Enteritidis Septic Arthritis of a Total Knee Arthroplasty.
- Uhl RL, Gainor J, Horning J. Treatment of Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fractures with Lateral Locking Plates. Orthopedics. 2008 May; 31(5): 473-7.
- Horning J, Dipreta J. Subtalar Dislocation. Orthopedics. 2009 Dec; 32(12): 904-8.
- Horning JA, Czajka J, Uhl RL. Atypical Diaphyseal Femur Fractures in Patients with Prolonged Administration of Bisphosphonate Medication for Osteoporosis. Orthopedics. 2010 Dec.; 33(10): 902.
- Horning JA, Gerdeman A. Case Files: Orthopaedic Surgery. 1st ed. McGraw-Hill; c2013. Chapter 22: Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. pp 207-217.
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!