Hip resurfacing, also known as hip joint resurfacing or hip resurfacing arthroplasty, is a type of surgery used to replace a damaged hip joint and relieve the associated hip pain and symptoms. Hip resurfacing may be recommended as an alternative to total hip replacement because it can preserve more healthy bone and decrease your risk of future hip dislocation.
During hip resurfacing, worn cartilage and damaged joint tissues and bone are removed. A metal cap is placed in the socket and on the head of the thigh bone. The natural fluid in the joint provides lubrication allowing the resurfaced hip to move smoothly. Patients younger than 60 years old often have the highest likelihood of success with this type of hip replacement surgery. Hip resurfacing commonly requires two to three hours of surgery.
Recovery typically requires one to four days spent in the hospital for monitoring. After your surgery, our team will work with you to develop a personalized recovery plan including physical therapy and pain management on-site at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster.
Types of Treatment:
- Hip replacement surgery involving the removal of worn cartilage and damaged joint tissue and bone. A metal cap is placed in the socket and on the head of the thigh bone. This is often performed as an alternative to total hip replacement.
- Hip Osteoarthritis
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.