The lumbar facet joints are found along each side of the spinal column at every segment. These joints provide stability and allow the spine to safely bend and twist. They can, however, become a cause of neck and low back pain, typically occurring with arthritis and sometimes trauma.
Facet joint arthritis may be diagnosed on x-ray, MRI, CT, or bone scan. However, normal-appearing joints on imaging do not completely rule out facet joints as a source of pain. A facet joint injection may be recommended to decrease inflammation and pain. The injection commonly consists of corticosteroid and an anesthetic or numbing medicine. If symptoms improve following a facet injection, it provides support for the diagnosis that the facet joint was the source of pain. Radio frequency ablation may also be considered as a nonsurgical injection treatment for chronic facet joint pain.
Our pain management physicians at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster will work with you to develop a personalized pain managementplan for facet joint pain.
Types of Treatment:
- Physical exam and thorough history to identify factors suggesting facet joint pain
- X-ray, MRI, CT, or bone scan imaging to evaluate facet joint anatomy or damage
- Medications to decrease inflammation and reduce pain
- Physical therapy
- Injection of corticosteroid medication into the facet joint
- Facet joint nerve block injection
- Radio frequency ablation of nerves that transmit chronic facet joint pain
- Facet Arthritis
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!