Ankle arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that provides a complete view of the inside of the ankle joint. Your orthopedic surgeon will use small incisions to insert a fiberoptic video camera and specialized arthroscopic instruments into the joint of the ankle. Sterile fluid is circulated throughout the joint to expand the area andincrease visibility. These images are projected on a large T.V. screen providing a detailed look at the condition of your ankle.
Ankle arthroscopy offers many benefits including increased visibility; decreased incision size resulting in less trauma to the skin and soft tissues; less swelling and pain; and in most cases, a faster healing time. Ankle arthroscopy is typically performed as an outpatient procedure using general anesthesia.
Ankle arthroscopy is performed in our North Point Surgery Centers located in Lancaster and Lebanon. These state-of-the-art surgical facilities are operated by our Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster teams to provide you with expert care.
- Osteochondral defect of the talus such as OCD lesion, osteochondritis dissecans, or osteochondral fractures. Arthroscopic treatment options include microfracture, subchondral drilling, fragment fixation, and/or bone grafting
- Removal of loose bodies such as articular cartilage and/or scar tissue that can form after trauma and become free-floating in the joint
- Removal of any redundant soft tissues or bone spurs to help improve range of motion and decrease pain associated with ankle impingement
- Ensure proper alignment of the cartilage to help minimize the risk of posttraumatic arthritis associated with ankle fractures
- Ankle arthroscopy may be used in urgent situations by administering a saline flush to the joints to help clean out infection
- Increased visibility
- Decreased incision size resulting in less trauma to the skin and soft tissues
- Less swelling and pain
- In most cases, a faster healing time
Joel A. Horning, M.D.
John C. Rodgers, M.D.
Paul F. Carroll, M.D.
Thomas I. Sherman, M.D.
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!