Ankle arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that provides a complete view of the inside of the ankle joint. Your orthopedic surgeon will use small incisions to insert a fiberoptic video camera and specialized arthroscopic instruments into the joint of the ankle. Sterile fluid is circulated throughout the joint to expand the area andincrease visibility. These images are projected on a large T.V. screen providing a detailed look at the condition of your ankle.
Ankle arthroscopy offers many benefits including increased visibility; decreased incision size resulting in less trauma to the skin and soft tissues; less swelling and pain; and in most cases, a faster healing time. Ankle arthroscopy is typically performed as an outpatient procedure using general anesthesia.
Ankle arthroscopy is performed in our North Point Surgery Centers located in Lancaster and Lebanon. These state-of-the-art surgical facilities are operated by our Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster teams to provide you with expert care.
- Osteochondral defect of the talus such as OCD lesion, osteochondritis dissecans, or osteochondral fractures. Arthroscopic treatment options include microfracture, subchondral drilling, fragment fixation, and/or bone grafting
- Removal of loose bodies such as articular cartilage and/or scar tissue that can form after trauma and become free-floating in the joint
- Removal of any redundant soft tissues or bone spurs to help improve range of motion and decrease pain associated with ankle impingement
- Ensure proper alignment of the cartilage to help minimize the risk of posttraumatic arthritis associated with ankle fractures
- Ankle arthroscopy may be used in urgent situations by administering a saline flush to the joints to help clean out infection
- Increased visibility
- Decreased incision size resulting in less trauma to the skin and soft tissues
- Less swelling and pain
- In most cases, a faster healing time
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.