Ankle arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that provides a complete view of the inside of the ankle joint. Your orthopedic surgeon will use small incisions to insert a fiberoptic video camera and specialized arthroscopic instruments into the joint of the ankle. Sterile fluid is circulated throughout the joint to expand the area andincrease visibility. These images are projected on a large T.V. screen providing a detailed look at the condition of your ankle.
Ankle arthroscopy offers many benefits including increased visibility; decreased incision size resulting in less trauma to the skin and soft tissues; less swelling and pain; and in most cases, a faster healing time. Ankle arthroscopy is typically performed as an outpatient procedure using general anesthesia.
Ankle arthroscopy is performed in our North Point Surgery Centers located in Lancaster and Lebanon. These state-of-the-art surgical facilities are operated by our Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster teams to provide you with expert care.
- Osteochondral defect of the talus such as OCD lesion, osteochondritis dissecans, or osteochondral fractures. Arthroscopic treatment options include microfracture, subchondral drilling, fragment fixation, and/or bone grafting
- Removal of loose bodies such as articular cartilage and/or scar tissue that can form after trauma and become free-floating in the joint
- Removal of any redundant soft tissues or bone spurs to help improve range of motion and decrease pain associated with ankle impingement
- Ensure proper alignment of the cartilage to help minimize the risk of posttraumatic arthritis associated with ankle fractures
- Ankle arthroscopy may be used in urgent situations by administering a saline flush to the joints to help clean out infection
- Increased visibility
- Decreased incision size resulting in less trauma to the skin and soft tissues
- Less swelling and pain
- In most cases, a faster healing time
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.