Your hands, wrists, arms, and shoulders provide strength and range of motion that you use every day. If you suffer from an injury or condition that affects that movement, you may lose the ability to engage in your favorite activities, feel that you are under functioning at work, and in some cases, lose the fine motor skills necessary to perform daily tasks such as picking up your child or carrying a bag of groceries. Our hand therapy team at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster understands how devastating these situations can be. Our certified hand therapists will guide you through a comprehensive recovery plan to help you regain your life.
Hand Therapy Treatments
When you enter the Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster Hand Center, you immediately notice our patient-centered team approach. Our hand therapists, physicians, and care team work closely together to provide an individualized plan to meet the specific needs of your diagnosis and lifestyle.
Hand therapy treatments are designed to regain strength, increase function, and improve dexterity as well as quality of life. This includes joint mobilization and manual therapy techniques, strengthening, and a customized home exercise program. Additional customized therapies are included depending on your symptoms and condition.
Hand therapy treatments at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster include:
- Modalities – aimed at reducing pain and edema
- Custom-fabricated splints and serial casting– designed to mobilize stiff joints, rest painful or swollen joints, and protect injured structures.
- Individualized strengthening, flexibility, and range of motion programs.
- Sensory re-education
- Muscle re-education
- Specialized wound care and scar treatment.
- Edema management
- Manual therapy techniques aimed at motor re-education and improving motion
Injuries and Conditions Treated with Hand Therapy
Our certified hand therapists at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster have met rigorous national standards established by the Hand Therapy Certification Commission. This extensive training allows them to expertly care for the delicate network of tendons, ligaments, muscles, blood vessels, and nerve endings that make up your hands, wrists, elbows, arms, and shoulders. They have proudly earned a reputation for providing superior evaluation and treatment of a variety of injuries or conditions that can be treated with hand therapy. These include:
- Amputation and replantation
- Repetitive stress injuries (i.e. Carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome, DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis, stenosing tenosynovitis/trigger finger, etc.)
- Dupuytren’s disease
- Fractures and dislocations
- Ligament tears and instability
- Nerve compression or traumatic injuries
- Repetitive strain conditions
- Sports injuries
- Shoulder conditions
- Tendon injuries
- Tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow
- Work injuries/ workman’s comp injuries.
Whether you are suffering from a work or sports jury, traumatic accident, or degenerative condition, our hand therapy team can help. Contact us to learn more about Hand therapy at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster and begin your path to recovery.
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.