Do you experience snapping, clicking, or locking when bending your fingers? These are often symptoms of stenosing flexor tenosynovitis, or trigger finger. Trigger finger is a common cause of hand pain in adults.
Inside your fingers are flexor tendons. These cord-like structures are covered with a sheath that allows them to glide smoothly during bending and straightening of the fingers. Tendons glide through pulleys, a band of tissue that holds the flexor tendons closer to the bones of the fingers.
Symptoms of trigger finger are commonly caused by inflammation of the flexor tendons of the fingers. Chronic inflammation leads to thickening of the pulley and nodule formation of the tendon. This restricts the smooth gliding motion of the tendon resulting in catching, popping, or pain.
- Snapping, clicking, or locking of fingers during flexion or extension – this may be painful or painless
- Palpable nodules on hand
- Abnormal contraction of palm, also known as Dupuytren's contracture, may be present
- Advanced condition may be painful with radiation to the entire hand and limited ability to perform daily activities
- Overuse of hand and fingers
- Repetitive movements of hand and fingers
- Engaging in activities or occupations that require repetitive movement of the hands and fingers such as clerical professions
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Conditions of abnormal protein deposition such as amyloidosis
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!