Do you experience snapping, clicking, or locking when bending your fingers? These are often symptoms of stenosing flexor tenosynovitis, or trigger finger. Trigger finger is a common cause of hand pain in adults.
Inside your fingers are flexor tendons. These cord-like structures are covered with a sheath that allows them to glide smoothly during bending and straightening of the fingers. Tendons glide through pulleys, a band of tissue that holds the flexor tendons closer to the bones of the fingers.
Symptoms of trigger finger are commonly caused by inflammation of the flexor tendons of the fingers. Chronic inflammation leads to thickening of the pulley and nodule formation of the tendon. This restricts the smooth gliding motion of the tendon resulting in catching, popping, or pain.
- Snapping, clicking, or locking of fingers during flexion or extension – this may be painful or painless
- Palpable nodules on hand
- Abnormal contraction of palm, also known as Dupuytren's contracture, may be present
- Advanced condition may be painful with radiation to the entire hand and limited ability to perform daily activities
- Overuse of hand and fingers
- Repetitive movements of hand and fingers
- Engaging in activities or occupations that require repetitive movement of the hands and fingers such as clerical professions
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Conditions of abnormal protein deposition such as amyloidosis
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!