Tenosynovitis refers to inflammation of the synovium, a protective sheath that covers your tendons and produces a fluid to help keep them lubricated.
Tenosynovitis most commonly involves the tendons of the hands, wrists, or feet. Tenosynovitis inflammation is commonly caused by infection or repetitive use over time. Because of this, athletes, gamers, and those engaged in clerical occupations are at high risk.
Common symptoms tend to be gradual, while those associated with infection can develop rapidly. Infectious tenosynovitis can be extremely tender to the touch with warmth and swelling. Pus or fluid draining from the surrounding skin and a high fever may also be present.
Our specialists at Lancaster Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster are expertly trained to care for your tendons and their surrounding structures. Schedule an appointment for an orthopedic evaluation.
- Joint pain
- Localized swelling
- Stiffness or decreased function when using affected joint
- Redness overlying the affected area
- Infectious tenosynovitis can be extremely tender to the touch with warmth and swelling. Pus or fluid draining from the surrounding skin may be present. A high fever may also be an indication.
- Infectious - due to trauma and entrance of bacteria from cut or puncture to the tendon. Infection may also spread from nearby structures or due to bloodstream infection.
- Noninfectious - overuse, chronic repetitive stress over time, prolonged physical activities
- Cause can be unknown
- Participating in sports that involve repetitive jumping, running, or throwing
- Occupations requiring repetitive motions such as clerical positions, carpenters, and factory workers
- An impaired immune system that may make you more susceptible to infection
- Conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, scleroderma, and gout, among others
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!