Tenosynovitis refers to inflammation of the synovium, a protective sheath that covers your tendons and produces a fluid to help keep them lubricated.
Tenosynovitis most commonly involves the tendons of the hands, wrists, or feet. Tenosynovitis inflammation is commonly caused by infection or repetitive use over time. Because of this, athletes, gamers, and those engaged in clerical occupations are at high risk.
Common symptoms tend to be gradual, while those associated with infection can develop rapidly. Infectious tenosynovitis can be extremely tender to the touch with warmth and swelling. Pus or fluid draining from the surrounding skin and a high fever may also be present.
Our specialists at Lancaster Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster are expertly trained to care for your tendons and their surrounding structures. Schedule an appointment for an orthopedic evaluation.
- Joint pain
- Localized swelling
- Stiffness or decreased function when using affected joint
- Redness overlying the affected area
- Infectious tenosynovitis can be extremely tender to the touch with warmth and swelling. Pus or fluid draining from the surrounding skin may be present. A high fever may also be an indication.
- Infectious - due to trauma and entrance of bacteria from cut or puncture to the tendon. Infection may also spread from nearby structures or due to bloodstream infection.
- Noninfectious - overuse, chronic repetitive stress over time, prolonged physical activities
- Cause can be unknown
- Participating in sports that involve repetitive jumping, running, or throwing
- Occupations requiring repetitive motions such as clerical positions, carpenters, and factory workers
- An impaired immune system that may make you more susceptible to infection
- Conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, scleroderma, and gout, among others
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- I could not have asked for better service, promptness and satisfaction with the treatment ordered. Thank you very much!