Your tendons are flexible bands of tissue that attach muscle to bone. When a tendon becomes irritated or inflamed it is referred to as tendonitis. Common forms of tendonitis include tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow, runner’s knee, swimmer’s shoulder, and achilles tendonitis.
Tendonitis is most commonly caused by repetitive stress or minor impact to the affected area. It is most prevalent at your shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees, and heels. Anyone can experience tendonitis although it is much more common as you age. Pain is typically isolated to the affected area and is often described as an ache that can increase in severity over time.
A physical examination, and in some case an x-ray and MRI, will be used to show the depth of the injury and allow your orthopedic surgeon to determine the best treatment options
Learn more about tendonitis below or find a location near you to schedule an evaluation.
- Dull aching pain that increases when moving the affected joint tenderness and swelling at the affected area
- Pain that increases during or after exercises or activity and improves with rest
- Repetitive movements over time that put stress on the tendon
- Using improper techniques when exercising, lifting, or pulling
- Forceful or violent motions
- Participating in sports or exercise that involve repetitive or forceful motions such as tennis, golf, bowling, swimming, or running
- Occupations that involve repetitive motions, frequent overhead reaching, or continued vibrations such as painting or construction work
- General activities that involve repetitive motions or frequent overhead reaching such as gardening, shoveling, or raking
- Lack of adequate stretching before or after exercise
- Poor posture or form during activities
- Conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or blood or kidney disease
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.