Your tendons are flexible bands of tissue that attach muscle to bone. When a tendon becomes irritated or inflamed it is referred to as tendonitis. Common forms of tendonitis include tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow, runner’s knee, swimmer’s shoulder, and achilles tendonitis.
Tendonitis is most commonly caused by repetitive stress or minor impact to the affected area. It is most prevalent at your shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees, and heels. Anyone can experience tendonitis although it is much more common as you age. Pain is typically isolated to the affected area and is often described as an ache that can increase in severity over time.
A physical examination, and in some case an x-ray and MRI, will be used to show the depth of the injury and allow your orthopedic surgeon to determine the best treatment options
Learn more about tendonitis below or find a location near you to schedule an evaluation.
- Dull aching pain that increases when moving the affected joint tenderness and swelling at the affected area
- Pain that increases during or after exercises or activity and improves with rest
- Repetitive movements over time that put stress on the tendon
- Using improper techniques when exercising, lifting, or pulling
- Forceful or violent motions
- Participating in sports or exercise that involve repetitive or forceful motions such as tennis, golf, bowling, swimming, or running
- Occupations that involve repetitive motions, frequent overhead reaching, or continued vibrations such as painting or construction work
- General activities that involve repetitive motions or frequent overhead reaching such as gardening, shoveling, or raking
- Lack of adequate stretching before or after exercise
- Poor posture or form during activities
- Conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or blood or kidney disease
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.