Sprains and Strains
Sprains and strains are common orthopedic complaints, however there is a distinct difference between the two. A sprain refers to the tearing or stretching of the fibers of a ligament. A ligament connects one bone to another. A strain, also known as a pulled muscle, is the tearing of muscle fibers either in a tendon – where the muscle connects to the bone – or within the muscle belly itself. Both injuries often cause immediate pain, swelling, and decreased range of motion in the affected area.
Sprains and strains often occur while playing sports or exercising. Our Saturday Sports Injury Care at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster was designed to treat conditions such as sprains and strains that happen when you least except them. Sprains and strains can typically be evaluated and treated on-site and in most cases do not require surgical treatment.
- Pain, swelling, or bruising to the affected area
- Decreased range of motion of the affected area
- Pain with weight-bearing or walking
- Deformity at the area depending on the severity of the injury
- Muscle weakness.
- Proprioception, or balance issues
- Twisting or rolling an ankle falling onto an outstretched hand can result in a sprain
- A forceful contraction of a muscle such as suddenly sprinting or kicking a ball can result in a strain
- Participating in sports such as soccer, volleyball, basketball, or ballet dancing
- Sudden increase in length or intensity of exercise
- Exercising or maneuvering on slippery or uneven ground
- Wearing improper shoes that do not provide adequate support and stability
- Previous sprain and strains may increase your risk of repeat injuries and general instability
- Poor physical condition
- Excess weight
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.