A sprained ankle doesn’t only happen to athletes, but it can be a very common injury when playing sports. Sprains can result from sudden twisting, turning, or rolling movements. They often occur when playing sports that call for a quick change of direction, require you to keep your balance on an uneven surface, or when landing on another player’s foot. The painful injury occurs when one or more of the ankle ligaments is stretched beyond the normal range of motion.
Ankle sprains are the most common injury of the lower leg and are categorized in three types:
Lateral ankle sprains, when the foot rolls inward
Medial ankle sprains, when the foot rolls outward
High ankle sprains, when the foot rolls outward and the leg turns inward
Simple sprains may reach recovery in as little as one to two weeks, while more severe instances may require a few months to heal. Surgery is typically not required, but proper rehabilitation for even minor sprains should be followed diligently. Insufficient healing can make you more vulnerable to future injuries and can result in chronic ankle instability.
- Pain and swelling around the outside or inside of the ankle
- Tenderness when you touch the ankle
- Bruising around the outside or inside of the ankle, this may also include the foot and toes
- Pain or instability when walking
- Hearing or feeling a pop in your ankle joint at the time of injury
- Loss of movement in the ankle joint
- Landing poorly after jumping or pivoting
- Exercising on an uneven surface
- Falling or twisting your ankle
- Exercising or playing sports on slippery or uneven ground
- Exercising or playing sports when your muscles are tired and less likely to provide support
- Wearing improper shoes that do not provide adequate support and stability
- Poor physical condition
- A history of ankle sprains
- I could not have asked for better service, promptness and satisfaction with the treatment ordered. Thank you very much!
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.