A sprained ankle doesn’t only happen to athletes, but it can be a very common injury when playing sports. Sprains can result from sudden twisting, turning, or rolling movements. They often occur when playing sports that call for a quick change of direction, require you to keep your balance on an uneven surface, or when landing on another player’s foot. The painful injury occurs when one or more of the ankle ligaments is stretched beyond the normal range of motion.
Ankle sprains are the most common injury of the lower leg and are categorized in three types:
Lateral ankle sprains, when the foot rolls inward
Medial ankle sprains, when the foot rolls outward
High ankle sprains, when the foot rolls outward and the leg turns inward
Simple sprains may reach recovery in as little as one to two weeks, while more severe instances may require a few months to heal. Surgery is typically not required, but proper rehabilitation for even minor sprains should be followed diligently. Insufficient healing can make you more vulnerable to future injuries and can result in chronic ankle instability.
- Pain and swelling around the outside or inside of the ankle
- Tenderness when you touch the ankle
- Bruising around the outside or inside of the ankle, this may also include the foot and toes
- Pain or instability when walking
- Hearing or feeling a pop in your ankle joint at the time of injury
- Loss of movement in the ankle joint
- Landing poorly after jumping or pivoting
- Exercising on an uneven surface
- Falling or twisting your ankle
- Exercising or playing sports on slippery or uneven ground
- Exercising or playing sports when your muscles are tired and less likely to provide support
- Wearing improper shoes that do not provide adequate support and stability
- Poor physical condition
- A history of ankle sprains
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.