Spinal stenosis refers to the narrowing and compression of spinal cord or nerve branches. Compression can occur at any level of the spine, but most commonly occurs in the low back or neck.
Compression of the nerve roots and spinal cord can cause pain and decreased blood supply which can damage the nerves. When nerves are damaged, they lose the ability to function properly and can produce symptoms such as numbness, tingling, or weakness.
Symptoms of spinal stenosis typically relate to the areas supplied by the affected nerve root or level of the spinal cord. Compression in the neck generally will affect the upper back, neck, shoulders, and arms. Compression in the lower back will affect the back, buttock, hip, and legs.
Our pain management experts at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster will help eliminate or minimize your neck and back pain so you can get back to the life you enjoy as soon as possible.
- Neck pain
- Weakness or loss of function, numbness, or tingling of upper extremities
- Back pain
- Leg pain or weakness- usually affecting both legs, though one may be more affected than the other
- Numbness or tingling in lower extremities
- Severe cases may experience loss of bowel or bladder function, erectile dysfunction, or inability to walk
- Disc abnormalities or herniations due to trauma or age
- Lesions such as tumors or cysts
- Conditions which affect bones and surrounding structures such as osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Congenital factors
- Excess weight
- Family history and genetics
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!