Spinal stenosis refers to the narrowing and compression of spinal cord or nerve branches. Compression can occur at any level of the spine, but most commonly occurs in the low back or neck.
Compression of the nerve roots and spinal cord can cause pain and decreased blood supply which can damage the nerves. When nerves are damaged, they lose the ability to function properly and can produce symptoms such as numbness, tingling, or weakness.
Symptoms of spinal stenosis typically relate to the areas supplied by the affected nerve root or level of the spinal cord. Compression in the neck generally will affect the upper back, neck, shoulders, and arms. Compression in the lower back will affect the back, buttock, hip, and legs.
Our pain management experts at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster will help eliminate or minimize your neck and back pain so you can get back to the life you enjoy as soon as possible.
- Neck pain
- Weakness or loss of function, numbness, or tingling of upper extremities
- Back pain
- Leg pain or weakness- usually affecting both legs, though one may be more affected than the other
- Numbness or tingling in lower extremities
- Severe cases may experience loss of bowel or bladder function, erectile dysfunction, or inability to walk
- Disc abnormalities or herniations due to trauma or age
- Lesions such as tumors or cysts
- Conditions which affect bones and surrounding structures such as osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Congenital factors
- Excess weight
- Family history and genetics
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!