Spinal stenosis refers to the narrowing and compression of spinal cord or nerve branches. Compression can occur at any level of the spine, but most commonly occurs in the low back or neck.
Compression of the nerve roots and spinal cord can cause pain and decreased blood supply which can damage the nerves. When nerves are damaged, they lose the ability to function properly and can produce symptoms such as numbness, tingling, or weakness.
Symptoms of spinal stenosis typically relate to the areas supplied by the affected nerve root or level of the spinal cord. Compression in the neck generally will affect the upper back, neck, shoulders, and arms. Compression in the lower back will affect the back, buttock, hip, and legs.
Our pain management experts at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster will help eliminate or minimize your neck and back pain so you can get back to the life you enjoy as soon as possible.
- Neck pain
- Weakness or loss of function, numbness, or tingling of upper extremities
- Back pain
- Leg pain or weakness- usually affecting both legs, though one may be more affected than the other
- Numbness or tingling in lower extremities
- Severe cases may experience loss of bowel or bladder function, erectile dysfunction, or inability to walk
- Disc abnormalities or herniations due to trauma or age
- Lesions such as tumors or cysts
- Conditions which affect bones and surrounding structures such as osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Congenital factors
- Excess weight
- Family history and genetics
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- Absolutely amazing such nice doctors and nurses went out of there way for me highly recommend them! Thank you to all you helped me!