Symptoms of back pain rarely go unnoticed though they may range from moderate discomfort to debilitating. Just as the degree of your back pain may vary, the cause of the pain often does as well.
Spondylolisthesis, also known as slipped vertebra, is a term that describes when one of the bones of the spine slips out of place in relation to the vertebrae below it. This slippage may be painless, but often results in pain that radiates from the back to the buttock and thigh.
The slipping of vertebra can be caused by various underlying causes that disrupt the normal architecture of the vertebrae. Spondylolisthesis can occur at any level of the spine, but most frequently in the lower back.
Spondylolisthesis can cause serious complications if the slipped vertebra is severe enough that it compresses the spinal cord or nerve roots. Rarely, this can result in cauda equina syndrome, with symptoms that include a sudden loss of ability to walk with numbness or weakness of the legs, bowel or bladder incontinence, and sudden onset of severe back pain. Cauda equina syndrome should be treated as a medical emergency and requires immediate surgical intervention.
- Focal back pain that may be sharp or severe during activities and usually relieved with rest or sitting
- Back stiffness
- Pain radiating from back to buttock or thigh
- Numbness or weakness in the legs
- Spasms of leg muscles
- Change in posture or gait
- Degenerative - bony changes of vertebrae and deterioration of intervertebral discs
- Traumatic - such as young athletes who develop stress fractures of the vertebrae from overuse, or trauma like car accidents or fall
- Congenital - birth defects
- Underlying cause - disorders that affect bone strength like osteoporosis, cancer, or infection
- Participating in sports where the risk of back trauma or overuse is present, such as with football or gymnastics
- Occupations where risk of back trauma or overuse is present
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.