Separated and Dislocated Shoulder
Injury to your shoulder including a fall, hit, or twist can result in a separated or dislocated shoulder. During a shoulder dislocation, there can be damage to tendons, ligaments, or soft cartilage. You may also sustain a fracture, most commonly in the front of the shoulder.
Intense pain, especially when moving the affected arm, is a common symptom. Depending on the injury and severity, you may also notice a bump on the front or back of the shoulder where the bone has become dislocated, swelling, or bruising.
This injury is a common sports injury typical with football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing. You don’t need to be an athlete to experience separated or dislocated shoulder. Those prone to falling are also at a high risk.
Our team at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster, are experts at diagnosing and treating shoulder conditions. Learn more about symptoms and treatment options below.
- Pain at the top of the shoulder on the affected side
- Painful when the top of the shoulder is touched
- Pain when attempting to use the affected arm
- A bump on the front or back of the shoulder where the AC joint is located
- Severe fall or hit directly onto the shoulder
- Attempting to stop a fall using the hand
- A sharp twist of the arm
- Sports injuries such as with football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing
- Participating in sports such as football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing
- Balance issues or other conditions that may make you more prone to falling
- A very professional organization, with a relaxed and friendly staff.
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!