Separated and Dislocated Shoulder
Injury to your shoulder including a fall, hit, or twist can result in a separated or dislocated shoulder. During a shoulder dislocation, there can be damage to tendons, ligaments, or soft cartilage. You may also sustain a fracture, most commonly in the front of the shoulder.
Intense pain, especially when moving the affected arm, is a common symptom. Depending on the injury and severity, you may also notice a bump on the front or back of the shoulder where the bone has become dislocated, swelling, or bruising.
This injury is a common sports injury typical with football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing. You don’t need to be an athlete to experience separated or dislocated shoulder. Those prone to falling are also at a high risk.
Our team at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster, are experts at diagnosing and treating shoulder conditions. Learn more about symptoms and treatment options below.
- Pain at the top of the shoulder on the affected side
- Painful when the top of the shoulder is touched
- Pain when attempting to use the affected arm
- A bump on the front or back of the shoulder where the AC joint is located
- Severe fall or hit directly onto the shoulder
- Attempting to stop a fall using the hand
- A sharp twist of the arm
- Sports injuries such as with football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing
- Participating in sports such as football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing
- Balance issues or other conditions that may make you more prone to falling
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.