Separated and Dislocated Shoulder
Injury to your shoulder including a fall, hit, or twist can result in a separated or dislocated shoulder. During a shoulder dislocation, there can be damage to tendons, ligaments, or soft cartilage. You may also sustain a fracture, most commonly in the front of the shoulder.
Intense pain, especially when moving the affected arm, is a common symptom. Depending on the injury and severity, you may also notice a bump on the front or back of the shoulder where the bone has become dislocated, swelling, or bruising.
This injury is a common sports injury typical with football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing. You don’t need to be an athlete to experience separated or dislocated shoulder. Those prone to falling are also at a high risk.
Our team at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster, are experts at diagnosing and treating shoulder conditions. Learn more about symptoms and treatment options below.
- Pain at the top of the shoulder on the affected side
- Painful when the top of the shoulder is touched
- Pain when attempting to use the affected arm
- A bump on the front or back of the shoulder where the AC joint is located
- Severe fall or hit directly onto the shoulder
- Attempting to stop a fall using the hand
- A sharp twist of the arm
- Sports injuries such as with football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing
- Participating in sports such as football, hockey, volleyball, and rock climbing
- Balance issues or other conditions that may make you more prone to falling
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!