Diabetes is often associated with foot problems. Diabetes prevents the body from producing enough insulin, or the body does not use insulin like it should. Because of this glucose, or sugar, is not absorbed into the body’s cells and instead remains in the bloodstream. When diabetes is not properly managed, it can lead to other medical conditions including nerve damage and poor blood circulation. This means the risk for diabetic foot disease is very high. Diabetic foot disease includes risk of infection, ulcers, deformities, injuries, and limited mobility.
Preventative care including at-home and medical evaluation of the feet has shown to significantly manage risk. If the below symptoms sound familiar to you, contact our foot and ankle specialists to schedule an evaluation.
- Changes in skin color or temperature.
- Swelling or pain in the feet, ankles, or legs
- Foot ulcers or open sores on the feet that may be draining
- Ingrown toenails or toenail fungus
- Dry, cracked heels; corns; or calluses
- Unusual or persistent foot odor
- Diabetic neuropathy – a nerve damage in the feet that affects feeling and sensation
- Peripheral vascular disease – a condition affecting blood flow inhibiting the body’s ability to heal simple sores or cuts quickly
- Foot ulcers or sores
- Foot deformities such as hammertoe, claw toe, or Charcot foot
- Uncontrolled or inconsistent management of diabetes
- Excessive weight
- Sedentary lifestyle
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- I was amazed at the speed in which my daughter was seen by a doctor at urgent care. I just assumed it would be at least a 30 minute wait. Instead, we were in and out in 30 minutes!
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!