Nerve injuries is an all-encompassing term used to describe any traumatic damage to a nerve. Nerve damage can affect muscle function and cause loss of feeling. Nerve injuries can include force, such as a hit while playing sports or during a fall; a laceration in which the nerve is cut; or stretching that puts increased tension on the nerve.
Nerve injuries can be extremely complex, and treatment will vary based on the location and severity. An MRI can be used to evaluate the surrounding soft tissues and the extent of damage from the injury. An Electromyelogram (EMG) and Nerve Conduction Study (NCS) are other very common methods used to show the health of your nerves. A combination of pads and fine needles are used to determine the location of nerve injuries and help your orthopedic physician to determine treatment methods.
Our on-site diagnostics include x-ray and MRI to provide you with a convenient and comfortable evaluation.
- Burning, tingling, itching, or abnormal sensations in the skin
- Complete numbness in the skin
- Decreased function of an extremity or loss of function of certain muscle groups
- Abnormal reflexes
- Muscle twitching
- Injuries related to force. This may occur while playing sports or during a fall or vehicle accident for example.
- Injuries related to cuts. This may result in a nerve being partially or fully cut.
- Injuries related to stretching. This may occur when an extremity is hyper-flexed or extended, increasing the tension on a nerve.
- Age – the ability to heal nerves lessens with time
- Level of injury – the closer to the spine the injury occurs typically results in more motor and sensory losses and is more difficult to heal
- Physical examination of the affected areas
- Electromyelogram and Nerve Conduction Study to assess the condition of the nerves and location of injury
- MRI to show soft tissue health and evaluate other related injuries
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.