Extensor Tendon Injuries
Extensor tendon injuries are common among basketball, football, and volleyball players but are not exclusive to sports injuries. The extensor tendons start in the forearm and allow your wrist, fingers, and thumb to straighten. They are located on the back of your hand and fingers and lie just under the skin directly on the bone. Because of their location, they can become injured easily. Injuries are often a result of a jammed finger or a cut on the top of your fingers or hand and can include mallet finger, snapping tendons, and swan neck and boutonniere deformity. If you experience an extensor tendon injury, you may find it hard to straighten your fingers. Contact our hand and wrist specialists to determine if this condition may be affecting you.
- Loss of function in the affected fingers
- Inability to open hand or fingers
- Deformity at the joint
- Cut or laceration on the back of the hand or fingers. This can be minor or severe to the point of complete laceration or rupture of the tendon.
- Crushing injuries such as slamming a finger in a door or as a result of occupational tasks
- Jammed fingers common with sports such as basketball, volleyball, and football
- Sports injuries
- Broken bones
- General hand or finger trauma
- Participating in sports like basketball, volleyball, or football
- Occupations where risk of hand injury or crushing is higher
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.