Extensor Tendon Injuries
Extensor tendon injuries are common among basketball, football, and volleyball players but are not exclusive to sports injuries. The extensor tendons start in the forearm and allow your wrist, fingers, and thumb to straighten. They are located on the back of your hand and fingers and lie just under the skin directly on the bone. Because of their location, they can become injured easily. Injuries are often a result of a jammed finger or a cut on the top of your fingers or hand and can include mallet finger, snapping tendons, and swan neck and boutonniere deformity. If you experience an extensor tendon injury, you may find it hard to straighten your fingers. Contact our hand and wrist specialists to determine if this condition may be affecting you.
- Loss of function in the affected fingers
- Inability to open hand or fingers
- Deformity at the joint
- Cut or laceration on the back of the hand or fingers. This can be minor or severe to the point of complete laceration or rupture of the tendon.
- Crushing injuries such as slamming a finger in a door or as a result of occupational tasks
- Jammed fingers common with sports such as basketball, volleyball, and football
- Sports injuries
- Broken bones
- General hand or finger trauma
- Participating in sports like basketball, volleyball, or football
- Occupations where risk of hand injury or crushing is higher
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- My doctor and staff took the time to explain the cause and treatment I would receive. Very professional!
- #1 in my book! This team replaced my right knee, and are now in the prep stages to replace the left one. One stop shopping as far as diagnosis, actual surgery at Lancaster General, along with rehab. The surgery team is great, and the rehab team very easy to work with and very thorough.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- I could not have asked for better service, promptness and satisfaction with the treatment ordered. Thank you very much!