The claw toe deformity gains its name from the appearance of the curled under toe that resembles a claw. Claw toe is primarily caused by wearing shoes that are too tight and force the toe into an unnatural position. Overtime, a muscle imbalance causes the ligaments and tendons to tighten into the claw shape. This deformity affects the middle and end joints in the toe. Because of this it cannot occur in the big toe.
Claw toe can lead to pressure and pain especially at the top part of the toe. The claw appearance – and pain – will get worse overtime if left untreated. Eventually the deformity will become permanent. When detected in its early stages, the original shape can be regained.
- Claw like appearance of the toe
- Development of corns, calluses, or ulcers on areas of your toes where there is shoe friction
- Decreased mobility
- Wearing short, narrow shoes that are too tight
- Nerve damage that weakens foot muscles, leading to imbalance
- High arched feet
- Conditions including Rheumatoid arthritis, Cerebral Palsy, Diabetes, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, and stroke
- Neurological conditions
- High arches
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Physical examination to evaluate condition.
- X-ray to evaluate potential damage to the bone
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- All staff were very friendly and professional. Dr. Hyatt was thorough, did not rush through the appointment and answered all of our questions.
- Every time I’ve used of Orthopedic Associates I’ve been very pleased with the service I receive. From the receptionist, nurses, doctors and therapists, everything is professional and very sympathetic to the discomfort that you happen to be in so I gave them five stars!