The claw toe deformity gains its name from the appearance of the curled under toe that resembles a claw. Claw toe is primarily caused by wearing shoes that are too tight and force the toe into an unnatural position. Overtime, a muscle imbalance causes the ligaments and tendons to tighten into the claw shape. This deformity affects the middle and end joints in the toe. Because of this it cannot occur in the big toe.
Claw toe can lead to pressure and pain especially at the top part of the toe. The claw appearance – and pain – will get worse overtime if left untreated. Eventually the deformity will become permanent. When detected in its early stages, the original shape can be regained.
- Claw like appearance of the toe
- Development of corns, calluses, or ulcers on areas of your toes where there is shoe friction
- Decreased mobility
- Wearing short, narrow shoes that are too tight
- Nerve damage that weakens foot muscles, leading to imbalance
- High arched feet
- Conditions including Rheumatoid arthritis, Cerebral Palsy, Diabetes, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, and stroke
- Neurological conditions
- High arches
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Physical examination to evaluate condition.
- X-ray to evaluate potential damage to the bone
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!
- Universal welcoming attitude, listened to my wants and needs, efficient without hurrying, prompt exit processing.
- The OAL staff is always friendly and polite. Your diagnosis and treatment are explained in great in detail, so you truly understand what is going on. They also go above and beyond with insurance to get things preapproved, I would never go to another place.
- I had my left shoulder worked on and the surgery was very successful. I do not have any limitations or pain now. I would use this group again for any orthopedic issue I may have in the future, because they CARE about your success.
- Dr Stabile and her team were magical! I am pain free, and extremely happy I am in her care.