If you suffer from severe nerve damage, you may be at risk for developing Charcot foot. Charcot foot is a rare condition that affects the bones, joints, and soft tissues of the foot and ankle. Bones can become so weakened that they easily fracture. As the disorder progresses, the joints collapse, and the foot takes on an abnormal shape. This deformity can lead to pressure sores and infection.
Currently there is no known cause for Charcot foot however, the condition is unique to those with peripheral neuropathy, especially those who have been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, because of the decreased ability to feel temperature, pain, or trauma.
Preventative care including at-home and medical evaluation of the foot and ankle has shown to significantly manage risk. If the below symptoms sound familiar to you, contact our foot and ankles pecialists to schedule an evaluation.
- Warmth to the touch
- Redness in the foot
- Swelling, pain, or soreness
- Instability of the joint
- An unrecognized sprain or injury to the ankle
- Complications after organ transplants with persons who have diabetes
- Collapsed arches
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Clinical evaluation by an orthopedic specialist or a foot and ankle specialist
- X-rays to evaluate and monitor bone health
- I was seen promptly for my initial consultation. The staff and Dr. Sieger were friendly and professional, excellent communication! I’m planning to have Dr. Sieger to do my carpal tunnel surgery in the near future.
- Great experience at Orthopedic Urgent Care at OAL Lancaster. Friendly and efficient receptionist, assistant and x-ray tech. Scott, the PA-C was phenomenal. Very personable, caring and knowledgeable. Diagnosed, gave thorough explanations and treated my condition promptly and effectively.
- Despite having to visit Urgent Care, I was most impressed with the quality of service, professionalism and utmost dedication to giving expert advice and treatment by all the staff.
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- I have had very good experiences with OAL they diagnosed the problem and moved forward with a total hip replacement.Thank youu for helping me get around easier, I would recommend this practice for people in need of orthopedic problems!