You may have noticed the telltale sign of a bunion – a painful boney bulge on the outside base of the big toe. Bunions are a very common foot condition. A bunion is a deformity within the joint of the big toe. This misalignment in the joint causes the toe to drift inward toward the second toe and sometimes can even cause the second toe to overlap the first or third toe.
Left untreated, the deformity may worsen causing increased pain that can eventually affect your mobility and ability to walk or run. Wearing shoes that are too small, narrow, pointed, or have high heels are the leading cause of most bunions. Genetics and arthritis of the foot can be contributing factors as well. A physical exam and x-rays will provide insight into the health of your foot and allow your orthopedic doctor to recommend a personalized approach to managing pain and recovery.
- Pain and tenderness on and near the bunion
- Hardened, callused skin on the bottom of the foot
- A callus or corn on the bulge of the bunion
- Stiffness and restricted motion in the big toe, which may lead to limited mobility and difficulty walking or running
- Wearing poorly fitting shoes, especially those that are narrow or tight in the toe box
- Conditions that affects the joints such as arthritis
- Family genetics
Wearing poorly fitting shoes – in particular, shoes with a narrow, pointed toe box that forces the toes into an unnatural position
Conditions that affects the joints such as arthritis
- Description of your symptoms and medical history
- Physical examination to evaluate health of the foot
- X-ray to show bone health
- I knew I dislocated my finger when it was sticking out at a 45° angle from my hand. I thought I got it back into place, but was very grateful to have OAL‘s urgent care facility to go to to confirm. X-rays confirmed that it was still out of place and that there was also a fracture. I was then scheduled for an appointment with the hand specialist Dr. Griska five days later. I love having the option of an urgent care with orthopedic staff. Thank you OAL!
- I was seen by Dr. Luchetti and he was great! It was easy to make a timely appointment and his tech was fun to chat with while I had the injection in my thumb! Loved the office at Spooky Nook. There was allot of parking and the office was marked well and made finding it easy! I would refer anyone there!
- They were wonderful, I was seen right away. I was treated with kindness and compassion from everyone from beginning to end, from check-in, X-ray, check-out.
- The office staff were very helpful while you were there for your appointment. I have been a patient of OAL for over 40 years and that speaks for itself.
- Excellent experience!! I really feel like I am in great hands!! Thank you!!