At Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster (OAL) Hand Center, our hand therapists have earned a reputation for providing superior evaluation and treatment to meet the highly individualized needs of each patient. From diagnosis and treatment through recovery and rehabilitation, we provide a full complement of services to help our patients return to optimal functioning as quickly and safely as possible.
Certified hand therapists (CHTs) are specially trained to evaluate and treat a variety of injuries or conditions involving the elbow, forearm, wrist, hand, or fingers, including:
With a strong focus on manual therapy techniques such as joint mobilization and stretching, our certified hand therapists also use specific exercise regimens to strengthen joints and to help improve movement and range of motion. In addition, they design a customized home exercise program for each patient to follow between their formal therapy sessions.
Our therapists provide the following modalities:
- Paraffin bath – a heated wax therapy that helps with arthritis pain and stiffness, inflammation, strains, muscle spasms, and more
- Fluidotherapy – dry heat therapy that helps reduce pain, swelling and muscle spasm, and increase joint flexibility
- Vasopneumatic compression – flexible fabric wraps that deliver compression and temperature-controlled cold therapy to help accelerate healing
- Electrical stimulation – to decrease pain and increase range of motion
- Custom-fabricated splints – designed to stretch stiff joints, rest painful and swollen joints, and protect injured structures
A Team Approach to Treatment
Through a coordinated team approach to care, our highly skilled hand therapists work closely with you, your family and referring physician to develop a treatment plan tailored to your individual diagnosis and needs. In most cases we are able to schedule an initial evaluation within 24 to 48 hours after the physician referral. Our goal is to restore your function, dexterity, and fine motor skills to their optimal levels as quickly and safely as possible.
The treatment team at the OAL Hand Center is comprised of occupational therapists who have undergone advanced training in their area of expertise-upper extremity rehabilitation and splinting. Our certified hand therapists have met rigorous national standards established by the Hand Therapy Certification Commission.
Our hand therapy hours are:
Monday – Friday: 7 am – 7 pm
Monday - 7 am - 5 pm
Wednesday - 8 am - 5 pm
Friday - 7 am - 12 pm
Monday – Friday: 7 am – 7 pm
Whatever the reason you seek treatment, you’ll find superb care at Orthopedic Associates of Lancaster Hand Center. For an appointment, call (717) 517-5040 in Lancaster, (717) 517-5043 in Willow Street or (717) 675-1308 in Lebanon. You can also request an appointment online and complete your patient forms prior to your arrival.